Below are several reasons why privatizing solid waste collection with Advanced Disposal makes good sense:
1. When Advanced Disposal assumes responsibility for solid waste and recycling in a community, the local government saves money. Often times, the costs of labor, fuel, and maintenance are included in the local government’s solid waste budget figures. However, hidden costs are not included. Full cost accounting requires that a company, city or county include costs such as liability insurance, employee pension funds, accounting costs, depreciation, administrative staff, replacement equipment, etc. If all this is removed from the city’s budget, great cost savings are realized.
2. Liability risk is no longer the responsibility of the local government. Advanced Disposal assumes accident liability and shelters the local government from lawsuits and costly settlements.
3. Local governments gain greater control of the solid waste program. With a contract, local governments can restrict and/or enforce certain practices. A contract can be dissolved if a party does not live up to the contract. With civil service employees, though, it is extremely difficult to fire or discipline individuals who do not perform.
4. Performance bonds, purchased by the contractor, protect municipalities from private haulers faltering on their contract. In Advanced Disposal's history, we have never faltered on a municipal contract.
5. Equipment costs no longer are the responsibility of the local government. Advanced Disposal assumes all costs, including new equipment and depreciation.
6. The municipality’s employees will be protected and offered jobs. Advanced Disposal can offer the employees the opportunity to grow financially and increase their experience and skills. In many cases, Advanced Disposal offers a stronger benefits package that better protects the employee and saves them money.
7. Community programs are available to benefit the municipality and its citizens. Advanced Disposal offers many community programs such as charitable contributions and free services to the city or county.
Interested in learning more? Click here to read the National Solid Wastes Management Association 2011 White Paper on Privatization.
Advanced Disposal has a lot to offer local governments. We welcome the opportunity to submit a proposal to you. Please contact your local government sales representative.
munisalesNC@advanceddisposal.com (North Carolina)
munisalesSC@advanceddisposal.com (South Carolina)