Company Applauds All Operating Areas for Contributing to Local Earth Day Events
Advanced Disposal, a regional integrated environmental services company, is celebrating this year’s 40th anniversary of Earth Day by having every operating area contribute to their local community – resulting in thousands of dollars and hundreds of volunteer hours donated during the month of April.
From beach cleanups to essay contests, Christmas tree planting to the gift of an extra recycling bin, Advanced Disposal celebrated Earth Day in nearly every community throughout its operating footprint.
“We made Earth Day a month-long celebration at Advanced Disposal,” said Mary O’Brien, chief marketing officer for Advanced Disposal. “While we strive to make the communities we serve cleaner and greener everyday, it was wonderful to see as many people as we did come out to do their part for Earth Day.”
Some of the activities which Advanced Disposal is participating in include:
- Wolf Creek Landfill in Dry Branch, Ga. sponsored an Earth Day Contest with first- through fourth-graders at Jeffersonville Elementary in Jeffersonville, Ga. Students received Advanced Disposal gift bags and participated in an Earth Day coloring and essay contest for the chance to win Advanced Disposal Earth Day T-shirts and ribbons. The essay title was, “My efforts to leave the world a little cleaner than I found it…” They also donated two cherry blossom trees to the school to plant as part of their Earth Day festivities.
- Advanced Disposal (Montgomery, Ala.) provided roll-off containers and hauling for the City of Tallassee Beautification Committee Beautification Day. Event participants received a complimentary hamburger or hotdog lunch, donated and prepared by Advanced Disposal Stone’s Throw Landfill employees. The company also donated and planted a Christmas tree as part of the event, which will be lighted and decorated year after year representing the true spirit of recycling and reuse.
- Advanced Disposal (Jackson, Miss.) provided roll-off containers and hauling for the City of Crystal Springs Cleanup and gave Advanced Disposal Earth Day T-shirts to those who did their part to clean up the community.
- Advanced Disposal (St. Augustine, Fla.) gave each home an additional recycling bin and increased the number of recyclable items collected in St. Johns County, Fla. from 7 to 21. The company is currently implementing a countywide awareness campaign.
- Advanced Disposal (Jacksonville, Fla.) sponsored the Regional Envirothon, a problem-solving, natural resource education program for high school students to learn about the protection of groundwater through urban, agricultural and environmental planning.
- Advanced Disposal (St. Augustine, Fla.) sponsored the Nease High School IB program Annual Beach Cleanup and provided roll-off containers and hauling.
- Advanced Disposal (Pensacola, Fla.) supported the Pensacola-Escambia affiliate of Keep America Beautiful in several local Great American Cleanup days throughout the month.
- Advanced Disposal (Green Cove Springs, Fla.) encouraged several employees and their families to participate in the St. Johns River Cleanup in Clay County, Fla. The company also provided in-kind donations of roll-off containers for collection of the waste materials.
- Advanced Disposal (Macon, Ga.) hosted a local Boy Scouts Troop for a tour of Wolf Creek Landfill.
About Advanced Disposal Services, Inc.
Advanced Disposal is the fourth largest privately-owned environmental services company in the United States providing integrated, non-hazardous solid waste collection, transfer, recycling and disposal services in the Southeastern United States. Advanced Disposal currently owns and operates commercial, industrial, and residential solid waste collection operations, municipal solid waste landfills, transfer stations, and recycling facilities. Advanced Disposal is dedicated to preserving the environment and ensuring that all operations are conducted in a manner that follows all local, state, and federal laws in regards to environmental protection. Advanced Disposal is headquartered in Jacksonville, Fla. and has operations in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and North Carolina. The company’s website is www.AdvancedDisposal.com.