The Green Movement is upon us, and thankfully, it’s gaining momentum every day. If we want to preserve our planet, we all have to do our part. One simple and highly effective way to make a difference is by recycling.
In essence, recycling turns materials that would otherwise become waste in landfills into valuable resources.
Benefits of recycling include:
- Reducing the need for landfilling and incineration.
- Saving energy and preventing pollution caused by extraction and processing of virgin materials and the manufacturing of products using virgin materials.
- Decreasing emissions of greenhouse gases that contribute to global climate change.
- Conserving natural resources such as timber, water and minerals.
- Helping sustain the environment for future generations.
So how does it work? Recyclable materials are transported to a processing facility where they are separated to create the highest-value raw materials. These raw materials are then sold to manufacturers for making new materials. The cycle repeats itself when consumers purchase products with recycled content.
Recycling is vital to protecting our resources. However, its success depends on a community’s desire and commitment to protect the environment. In many cases, it is the local government’s decision to offer residential curbside recycling collection with its solid waste collection program.
For information on residential recycling services in your area, click here.
If your community does not currently offer recycling service, we encourage you to contact your local city council member or county commissioner and request it.