GENERAL COLLECTION GUIDELINES
All garbage, recycling and yard waste must be placed within four (4) feet of the curb no later than 6 a.m. on collection day.
REFUSE COLLECTION: Residents of Darien will continue to have two options for refuse collection service -
- Subscription Cart Service (billed quarterly). Residents will receive a cart for both refuse and recycling. There are 3 cart sizes to choose from:
Prepaid Darien stickers (pay as you go program).
- 95-gallon (Height: 46", Width: 26", Depth: 34.5")
- 65-gallon (Height: 41.5", Width: 24", Depth: 27")
- 35-gallon (Height: 37.5", Width: 19", Depth: 23.75")
- Place one (1) sticker on each bag or on the handle of each 32-gallon can of your own.
- Customer owned cans or bags are limited in size and weight to no more than 32-gallon and no more than 50 pounds.
- Garbage stacked on top of any container/cart will not be collected.
- Any additional trash outside of the subscription cart must have a prepaid Darien sticker attached.
For current rates, please visit Darien’s website at www.darien.il.us
IN DARIEN: City of Darien • Brookhaven Market • Jewel/Osco • Walgreens • CVS • Citgo • Darien Tobacco & Wine
IN DOWNERS GROVE: Kin-Ko Ace Hardware • Ultra Foods • Jewel/Osco • Shop-N-Save
IN WOODRIDGE: Ace Hardware • Jewel/Osco
IN WESTMONT: Mariano’s
RECYCLE COLLECTION: Residents choosing the sticker program may use recycling bins purchased at City Hall or use their own containers clearly marked recycling.
- No plastic bags.
- Containers must be 32-gallon or less and weigh no more than 50 pounds.
- Residents choosing the subscription service will get their choice of a 35-, 65- or 95-gallon recycling cart for their use during the contract.
- There is no limit on the amount of recyclables that can be placed out each week for collection.
- Only acceptable recyclable material may be mixed together in the recycling bin or cart, no need to separate.
- Do not place recyclable material in plastic bags. Please leave materials loose inside the cart.
ACCEPTABLE RECYCLABLE MATERIALS INCLUDE:
- Aluminum cans, trays and foil (trays and foil must be cleaned)
- Steel cans and tins
- Aseptic packaging and gable top containers (milk and juice cartons)
- Glass bottles and jars (clear, brown, green)
- PET soda, water and flavored beverage bottles (#1 clear and green plastic resin)
- HDPE milk, water and juice jugs (#2 clear plastic resin)
- HDPE detergent and fabric softener containers (#2 colored plastic resin)
- PVC narrow neck containers only (#3 plastic resin) such as health and beauty aid products, household cleaners
- LDPE grocery containers (#4 plastic resin) such as margarine tubs, frozen dessert cups, six pack rings, etc.
- PP grocery containers (#5 plastic resin) such as yogurt cups, and narrow neck syrup and ketchup bottles #7 plastic resin narrow neck containers only
- Plastic buckets, such as kitty litter containers (5-gallon size maximum) — NO metal handles
- Newspaper, including inserts (remove plastic sleeves)
- Cardboard (no waxed cardboard), all corrugated cardboard cut into pieces no larger than 3' x 3'
- Kraft (brown paper) bags
- Magazines, catalogs and telephone books
- Office, computer, notebook and gift wrap paper (no metal clips, spirals, binders)
- Chipboard (cereal, cake and food mix boxes, gift boxes, shoe boxes, etc.)
- Carrier stock (soda and beer can carrying cases)
- Junk mail and envelopes (no plastic cards, stick-on labels or unused stamps)
- Paperback books (no hardcover books)
ITEMS NOT ACCEPTED IN CURBSIDE RECYCLE PROGRAM:
- No motor oil, insecticide, herbicide or hazardous chemical containers
- No plastic bags — instead reuse or return to grocery or department stores
- No plastic sheets, film, tarps or wrap
- No window glass, auto glass, dinnerware or ceramics
- Expanded foam and clear polystyrene not accepted per joint advisory from the Illinois Recycling Association, Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs, and Region 5 US Environmental Protection Agency.
YARD WASTE COLLECTION: Yard waste service runs April 1 until the second full week of December. Residents of Darien have two (2) options to dispose of yard waste -
- Subscription 95-gallon cart service billed annually
- Prepaid Darien stickers (pay as you go program): one (1) sticker is required on every Kraft 30-gallon biodegradable paper bag, 32-gallon container or bundle of brush/branches.
- Kraft 30-gallon biodegradable paper bags may be bought from any store/supplier
- Yard waste in plastic bags will not be accepted
- Bundles of brush or branches must be securely tied, using biodegradable cord, string, rope or twine and may not exceed 50 pounds in weight, two (2) feet in diameter, and four (4) feet in length.
FALL LEAF COLLECTION SERVICE
- Leaves will be picked up free of charge (no sticker required) each week on your normal collection day from October 15 until the second full week of December. Leaves should be prepared as noted in the Yard Waste Collection section. Loose leaves will not be collected.
ADDITIONAL SERVICES AND INFORMATION
Furniture and Bulk Items: These are items that are too large to fit inside a cart or your own 32-gallon container.
- Subscription Cart Customers: Each additional bulk item requires one (1) prepaid sticker
- Non-subscription/Sticker Customers: Each additional bulk item requires two (2) prepaid stickers
- Carpet Rolls: These must be no larger than four (4) feet in length, 18" diameter and weigh no more than 50 pounds and require one prepaid sticker attached to each roll.
White Goods: These are appliances containing CFC, HCFC, PCBs, mercury switches or other hazardous components (refrigerators, air conditioners, humidifiers, etc) and will be picked up on your service day. Please call our office at (708) 409-9700 to schedule.
- Subscription Cart Customers: Each white good requires two (2) prepaid stickers
- Non-subscription/Sticker Customers: Each additional bulk item requires five (5) prepaid stickers
- Do-It-Yourself Construction or Demolition Debris: This must weigh no more than 50 pounds, be no more than four (4) feet in length and be placed inside of a 32-gallon container or bundled with one (1) prepaid sticker on each container or bundle. No loose debris will be collected. For large projects, we also have roll-off (dumpster) available for a fee. Please call our office at (708) 409-9700 to schedule.
Christmas Trees: These will be collected at no charge (no sticker required) during the 2nd & 3rd full weeks in January on your normal weekly collection day. Christmas trees should be free of all lights, garland, tinsel and decorations in order to be composted.
Electronics/TV’s: State law prohibits the disposal of electronics such as computers, televisions, monitors, etc. in landfills. Advanced Disposal will collect televisions only on your normal collection day. These items require five (5) stickers each. Customers should call Advanced Disposal at (708) 409-9700 to schedule an appointment. For information on how to properly dispose of other electronics, visit the DuPage County website at www.dupageco.org/recycling or call (630) 407-6700.
Missed Collection: This should be reported to Advanced Disposal at (708) 409-9700. Prior to calling Advanced Disposal, please make sure that collection has occurred on your block. Please remember refuse, recycling and yard waste are collected separately and can occur at different times of the day. Also, please check to see if your missed material has been tagged with the reason it had not been collected. Tagged material will not be collected until the following week and must be pulled back from the curb. Please report missed collections to Advanced Disposal by 11 a.m. the day following your scheduled collection in order to receive service that week.
Common Items that will not be Collected Curbside: These include aerosol paints and pesticides, antifreeze, cleaning products, compact fluorescent light bulbs, drain cleaners, fungicides, furniture strippers, gasoline, flammable liquids, insecticides, lawn chemicals, mercury, metal polishes, motor oil, oils, oil-based paints, old medications, paint remover, pool chemicals, solvents, weed killers and radioactive materials or liquids of any kind. These items can be disposed of at the Regional Household Hazardous Waste Facility in Naperville. Visit their website at www.naperville.il.us or call (630) 420-6095 for more information.
For those customers choosing subscription cart service, Advanced Disposal owns and is responsible for replacing broken carts. If your cart is damaged, please contact Advanced Disposal to arrange for repair or replacement. Cleaning of the cart is the customer’s responsibility.